Sarah and I have been talking about making casts of our bodies for displaying shop samples since the shop opened. The general idea is that instead of just making tiny samples to fit the anorexic shop models we have, we could also make some samples in our size to show the fits on different body types. With the help of the fabulous Raellyn, on Tuesday we finally started the casting process. We decided to use water activated packing tape because of its sturdiness and its quick drying ability. (For those locals wanting to replicate our experiment, you can get this tape at Kennedy Book Store in the art part) I took a couple of quick shots of us in the casts so you can get an idea of what we did.
The casts are dry now so all that's left is for us to cover the arm and neck holes and fill the casts with insulation foam. When they are nice and solid we plan to papier-mâché them and add a pretty pink glaze. I'll post more pics when that part is done.
In knitting news, I just finished a February Baby Sweater for a shop sample. This is an Elizabeth Zimmerman pattern from the Knitter's Almanac and in typical EZ fashion was very simple construction. The sweater is meant to be done on two needles with a seam up both sleeves, but like many I decided to forgo the seaming and just picked up stitches and did the sleeves in the round after I completed the body of the sweater. I used less than 65g or 240yds of dk weight yarn so this makes a very inexpensive and elegant baby gift.