Here are the rules: Each person tagged gives 7 random facts about themselves. Those tagged need to write in their blogs the 7 facts, as well as the rules of the game. You need to tag seven others and list their names on your blog. You have to leave those you plan on tagging a note in their comments so they know that they have been tagged and to read your blog.
- My favorite thing about Spring is cheap and ripe asparagus in abundance. I love asparagus and would eat it everyday if it was around all year long. I am thinking of growing a patch of asparagus so that I can have tons of it every Spring. Tip: Asparagus goes bad really quickly in a bag in the refrigerator. To make your asparagus last longer, chop about 1/2" off the bottoms and store in a jar of water (like flowers in a vase.) I have seen asparagus stay good for up to two weeks like this, plus it looks really pretty in your refrigerator.
- I am allergic to cats. This was discovered in high school when I had a cat, but living with him built up my immunity so it wasn't that bad. Now, after 10 years of cat-free living my cat allergy is very severe (cats=anaphylaxis.) I have to pop 125mg of Benedryl before seeing a cat so that my throat doesn't completely close up (and I still have itching, swelling, running nose, red eyes and sneezing.) My allergy attacks can last up to 48 hours after being around a cat. It sucks!
- I won't stick my hands into a sink of soapy water. Standing water freaks me out and the water in the sink is no exception. I do the dishes under running water.
- During the summer I walk or ride my bike to the downtown library to spend some time with the books. Every time I go I pick a random section to browse through and I can spend up to three hours just looking at books on a subject that I would typically have no interest in.
- Philip and I collect tiki. We have over 50 tiki mugs, old and new. A few are limited editions and worth a little money (though we would never sell them.) In addition to tiki mugs our collection contains tiki shot glasses (these are harder to find than the mugs,) figurines, and coconut monkeys. I designed and built our tiki bar (okay, my dad built the frame, but from my sketches.) Our favorite item in the tiki room is the copy of the photograph of a hula girl which you can see in this entry. The girl in the picture is actually Philip's grandmother and the background was a set in someone's basement. It was World War II and Philip's grandfather was a soldier so Philip's grandmother had this sexy picture taken for him to carry with him. It is the only family photograph that we have hanging in our house.
- I try to never walk the same path twice. I am always looking for new ways to walk places: hidden paths, new streets, even just a different side of the road. I like to see things from several different angles and then pick my favorite. I've found hidden parks, underpasses, and even an unmarked wildlife preserve. I also pick up trash on my walks in a sad attempt to leave the world a better place.
- I am an avid instruction reader. Anytime I buy something new, especially something expensive, I read the instruction book cover to cover. It drives me absolutely mad when people buy an expensive piece of equipment and don't even bother to learn about the features that they are paying the extra money for. I also thoroughly research every piece of electronic equipment before I buy so that I know that I am getting the product that best fits my needs and has the best track record. I don't like buying things that I will have to replace.
Oh, I had no idea about asparagus. I'd like to cook some since I've seen a bunch at the farmer's market recently, but I don't know how. Do you have any good cooking tips or recipes?
I had to delete my first comment because I didn't proof it and I'd made an error :)
I meant to write:
thanks for the asparagus tip! I just bought 2 big bunches and one was starting to turn. I've now placed the rest of the good ones in jars! Thanks!
I am pretty boring with my asparagus; I generally just steam it. My philosophy is why mess with a good thing. I do sometimes make a vegan hollandaise sauce to go with it.
Asparagus is really good just tossed with some herbs, sea salt, and olive oil and grilled. I usually put it on with peppers, squash, and onion slices to complement whatever meat is on the grill.
My aunt has one of those pictures!It's not from WWII but it's still amusing by the fact that it's her face on the hula girl and the hula girl's cha chas aren't covered by coconuts. Imagine my shock finding the picture while browsing through her photo album as a kid.
I also did a recent 7 weird things post, and hate putting my hands in cold dish water that's been sitting in the sink overnight. Gross. Egads, why would i do that? I prefer doing the dishes over running water too, but notice the waste of water, so i try to put a bit of hot water and soap in the sink first.
I did the meme! :)
The standing-water thing freaks me out also. I refuse to do dishes in my sink because of that.
ya, doing dishes under running water is a real waste of a natural resource. i would have expected a vegan to more conscious of that kind of waste. get over it.
Post a Comment